Thursday, November 04, 2010

Day 1 - Thirty Days of Truth

Day One - What is something you hate about yourself...

Well, let me start out by saying this isn't the most affirming way to set out on an adventure - of self awareness or anything else! But, I didn't "make the rules", so, I'll just go with it!

There was a time when I would say I pretty much "hated" everything about myself; but, with time, age, life experience and yes some counseling along the way I can honestly say I don't really "hate" anything about myself. HOWEVER, there are things that I can definitely improve upon, things that annoy me about myself and I'm sure can exasperate other folks....and really, no need to agree with me, I understand the "truth" of it.

The one thing that probably gets in my way the most is my failure to know when to look at the big picture and when to look at the details. I'm probably "built" to look at details and that was pretty essential when I was actively practicing nursing. But with life experiences - my husband's death, the death of my parents, my own health issues I've learned that really, seeing the big picture and letting go of the crap (and I mean dismissing the crap out of hand) is pretty important.

I think the "trick" is to remember that the details are important to people you're interacting with, one on one or in a small group. Which I totally get, because it's important to me when one on one and in a small group.

That being said, the big picture, being about to sift out the lumps and bumps in life that nobody is going to care about tomorrow, let alone next month or next year - is really where it's at. There is really not a whole lot worth getting too worked up or angry about, life is just way to short.

It is more clear to me than ever that we are shaped by our life experiences, it's what we do with those experiences that counts.


And yes, for better or for worse, the devil is in the details.

No comments: